Home > Resources > Packing Guide
It is common knowledge that most people do not enjoy packing, particularly if the house being packed up is large, but if it is not done properly, there is a greater risk of damage to household goods. It is critical to the success of the move that the contents of your home be packed correctly and protected while in transit. Proper packing will reduce the chance of your household goods from being damaged.
If your budget does not allow you the privilege of a packing service, doing your own packing can save you money on your move. If you wish to pack up the contents of your home yourself you will need to know what materials you will need and also how to pack up each item safely and securely to prevent damage. Keep in mind that you can purchase all moving supplies from Best L.A. Movers.
Before actually packing-up, you need to have a game plan:
- Pack one room at a time. This will help you when it comes time to unpack.
- Pack a couple of cartons a day, starting well ahead of the move.
- Mark all boxes, designating room and box number. Make a carton identification log to show the number of boxes packed per room, and the total number of cartons packed. It’s a good idea to leave space in your log for a special comments section to note carton conditions or location of high value goods. Notify your mover of any high value items.
- Be sure to have plenty of “filling” material available.
- Be sure that the bottoms of all cartons are secured and will hold the weight of the contents.
- Packing tape or gummed tape is better than masking tape.
- Pack heavier items toward the bottom of the box and lighter items toward the top. Try to keep a per-box weight of 50 pounds or less; it makes moving a lot easier. A general rule to remember on carton size – the heavier the item, the smaller the carton.
You may also request that the movers do partial packing. Consider having movers pack just the breakable items such as dishes, crystal, and other fragile pieces. You can reduce the risk of damage by letting movers do the packing for these items while reducing your costs by doing the bulk of the packing job yourself. This is the most common choice selected by our customers, as packing breakable is a time consuming endeavor, and requires a greater expertise than packing regular items, such as linens.
If you do not have the time to devote to packing and can afford our premium packing services, movers will be able to pack your household goods along with your furniture. It is critical to book this service in advance and not on the moving day. Best L.A. Movers will provide the packers and the packing materials and the content of your home will be professionally packed up usually on the day of moving or the day before. Remember, this is what these people do for a living and they have extensive knowledge of packing and know all the best techniques to protect your household contents.